The project is planned in two phases:
Design Lead for Phase 1 - Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife, (WDFW) Project Manager, Doris Small, 360.902.2258
Click here for Phase 1 project information
Design Lead for Phase 2 - Kitsap County Department of Public works, Project Manager, Gunnar Fridriksson, 360.337.5777
Five project components:
1) Estuary restoration consisting primarily of removal of historic fill and reconnection of tidelands, which also includes the cleanup of contaminated soil that has been detected in isolated areas south of
SE Olympiad Drive. (Phase 1) Complete.
2) Replacement of a 24-inch culvert on Harper Creek which runs under Southworth Drive with a 16'x11' three-sided culvert. (Phase 1) Complete
3) Replacement of the existing hand launch facility and beach access at the NE corner of Olympiad and Southworth Drive. (Phase 1)
4) Removing the existing 36-inch diameter culvert and associated road fill that exists where Olympiad Drive crosses Harper Estuary
with a 120 foot bridge. (Phase 2)
A wave pattern for the wall design was selected. C-Waves. For additional renderings, see photo section
5) ADA compliant beach access (Phase 2)
The goal of the project is to restore tidal influences and natural habitat that are now impacted by the ineffective culverts on Southworth and Olympiad Drives and road fill. Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) is the design lead for the first three components of the project, and the County is the lead for the fourth and fifth components – the design of the bridge and an ADA compliant beach access to be included with the bridge construction.
~Southworth Drive culvert and estuary restoration is complete.
~The Bridge design, including plans and specifications, is being completed by Otak Inc. The project is anticipated to go to bid early 2018. Bridge construction will follow once funding is secured.
Funding: The project is currently funded by Asarco Mitigation Funds at $4.1 million. Total estimated cost for the 5 components is approximately $7 million.
For more information on Phase 1 go to http://westsoundwatersheds.org/
See "Additional Information" for Public Outreach Meetings "questions and responses" and "summaries"
|90% design plans for bridge|
|Harper Estuary Restoration Project Description Final 9_15_2016|
|Artistic rendering of bridge project|
|Outreach Meeting "Questions and Responses"|
|Outreach Meeting Summaries|
|Final Comment Summary Report May 29, 2014|
|Phase 1 project information|
|Final Traffic Study|
|Harper Estuary Preliminary Bridge Design Report|